Activities for Kids
Play a game of checkers with edible checkers made from either chocolate or vanilla cookies. You get to eat the checkers you jump! Make vanilla and chocolate cookies using your favorite recipe. When I make this recipe I usually double the quantities and freeze the baked cookies in quantities of 24 (12 brown cookies and 12 white cookies). When my kids complain that they are bored I take out a pack and suggest that they play checkers. They are always exciting to play (particularly when they get a cup of hot chocolate to drink with the cookies!). It is also a nice gift to give a child a board with 24 cookies (half brown and half white). The game is suitable for kids from age 5. Ingredients and equipment:
- Chocolate cookie dough
- Vanilla cookie dough
- Plastic wrap or cellophane
- Roll the cookie dough and use a cookie cutter to create round shapes. You need 12 white cookies and 12 brown cookies for each game.
- Press fork prongs around the top of each cookie to form ridges. This will make the cookies look more like checkers.
- Bake the cookies according to the recipe.
- Cover your checkerboard with clear plastic wrap or cellophane to protect your board.