Making cupcakes with kids is fun. They will not only enjoy making them but tasting the final product. When making cupcakes with kids the goal is not to produce perfect cupcakes but rather let them have fun and be creative. There are hundreds of ways to decorate them. Give them some ideas and toppings and let them do whatever they want.
Basic Cupcake Recipe
- 7 ounces (200 gr) unsalted butter
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Cupcake frosting
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees Fahrenheit / 170 degrees Celsius.
- Line 20 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat in flour mixture and milk in two to three alternating batches. After each addition, beat until combined.
- Fill the muffin cups until they are half full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the tin for about 5 minutes and then put them on wire racks until they are completely cool.
Let the kids use their imagination when decorating the cupcakes.
You can also provide small plastic toys which they can use to decorate.
Pirate Treasure Chest Cupcakes
If your kids love pirates you might want to try these pirate treasure cakes. Use individual bread loaf baking tin to create small loaf cakes. Cut each cake in half and frost. Fill with gold chocolate coins and candy.
Frost the cupcakes with white frosting. Use the left over frosting to decorate ice cream cones. Put an ice cream cone on each cupcake. Before the frosting hardens use candy to make funny faces.
Fill a garlic press with green fondant/gum paste and then just squeeze the two handles together. Place the green strands on the frosted cupcake. Put one or more chocolate balls on the cupcake.
Cupcake Birthday Party
Looking for an idea for a birthday party?
Why not have a cupcake birthday party?
My son went to a cupcake party a few days ago. Every child received a few cupcakes that had not been frosted and they frosted them and decorated them together. He came home with a transparent disposable bowl filled with decorated cupcakes. He had a blast and enjoyed sharing with his siblings. You could see how proud he was to share something that he made himself.
Make enough cupcakes to give each child 3 or 4. Prepare frosting in different colors. Make or purchase some sugar fondant that can be used to cover the cupcakes. Offer different toppings that the kids can use to decorate.