Trash Pack Halloween Costume
Step by step tutorial
My kids love the Trash Pack so I made this Trash Pack costume for them. It was really easy and fun to make and they love it!
We used a plastic trash can which we painted silver since it was black. If you find a green one then you don’t even need to paint it. I used regular spray paint but if your trash can is plastic you might want to use spray paint for plastic products. It is more expensive but will probably last longer.
- Trash can (plastic or tin)
- Silver spray paint (if you get a silver or green trash can then you don’t need to paint it)
- The Trash Pack logo – download and print it
- Pictures of Trashies – download and print
- Green paint
- Felt (I used blue, green, purple and white but you can copy any of the Trashies)
- Polystyrene balls
- Black marker
- Mod Podge
- Hot glue gun
- Straps (Sturdy tape to hang the trash can over the child’s shoulders)
- Make a hole at the bottom of the trash can for your child’s legs. My husband did this step for me. He heated the plastic before which made it much easier to cut.
- Make a small cut on either side of the trash can to hold the straps. Use a hot glue gun to keep them in place. If the straps are not comfortable you can pad them with soft fabric, cotton wool covered in felt, padding or anything else that you find at home.
- If you need to paint your trash can then paint it with spray paint and leave it to dry. If you can find a trash can in the right color it will save you time and money. The painted trash can does scratch although if I had purchased spray paint for plastic it probably would have lasted a lot longer. It looked good for at least a month after which my kids lost interest anyway so it seems like a good solution.
- Print the Trash Pack logo and a few Trashies and adhere to the trash can with Modge Podge.
- Paint some drops of green paint so that they appear to be “dripping” down.
- I made a very simple mask using felt. It is basically a cylinder shape. I first cut a circle a bit larger than the diameter of my child’s head. Then I cut a rectangle with a length the size of the circumference of the circle. Basically you just measure the distance around the circle and make that the length of your rectangle. The height of the rectangle should be the distance from the top of the head until the chest. Pin the rectangle around the circle until the sides of the rectangle meet. Pin the two sides of the rectangle together.
- Sew around the circle and then sew the ends of the rectangle together.
- It is easier to make it smaller if necessary than to enlarge it so go for a bigger size than you think you will need.
- Put it on your child’s head to check the fit. You can make it smaller if you need to.
- Once you are happy with the size then cut out holes for the eyes.
- Cut out the mouth and teeth and whatever you need to create the face from colored felt. There are many kinds of Trashies and you can let your kid choose. I just used the face that required the colored felt that I had at home :).
- Cut the polystyrene ball in half and stick to the mask.
- Draw a black dot on each eye or stick googly eyes on it.